Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Rose Petal Sugar

Once when wondering how I might use my roses to flavor teas, I decided to try and make sugar with the petals. The first try was a disaster. I didn't let the petals dry enough and ended up with moldy sugar. But on the second try it worked beautifully. Then I tried to think of something to do with it other that just put it in tea. So again I experimented and came up with a great recipe, frosting for sugar cookies and petite fours. When trying this, experiment with several different roses, they each have a distinct taste all their own. This is the rose I used most recently. It is "Pat Austin" named after the wife of rose expert David Austin. It has a very distinct tea taste. This is how the petals should look when dried completely.
Rose Petal Sugar
- 2 cups of course grain sugar
- Handful of dried rose petals.
Layer petals and sugar in am airtight container and store for at least 1 week, preferably 2.
Tomorrow I will post my sugar cookie frosting recipe.

4 comments:

parTea lady said...

That rose is beautiful. My favorite color for roses is coral. I'll have to try the rose petal sugar, if my rose bush ever flowers again. Nice photos and info.

Angela McRae said...

This sounds yummy! And the photos are so pretty!

Teresa's New Life said...

ANGELA!!! Finally you have your picture posted! You look great too.

Joyce said...

I have coral roses and I use them in my teas as well...and send them to my niece in Iowa to put in her tea.
It's fun isn't it~~! The HEAT is on here in the big B.R. and my rose bush isn't doing so well now...blah!